As we look at the historical landmarks of the church, we have every reason to
be grateful to God for the spiritual, social, economic and material growth of
the church as evidenced in various ways and places such as listed below:
FIRST 100 YEARS OF QUA IBOE CHURCH
1863: Samuel Bill born on January 10.
1887: Samuel Bill sailed for Nigeria on September 14.
Arrived Calabar in Nigeria on October 6
1888: Archie Baillie joined Samuel Bill in Ibeno.
Qua Iboe Missionary Association formed in Belfast on November
1890: First Holy Communion Service with two African Christians
Samuel Bill and Grace Kerr married on October 14 in Mountpottinger
Presbyterian Church, Belfast.
Foundation of Qua Iboe Mission Council on November 7
1894: Mr. and Mrs. Baillie began missionary work at Okat.
1898: Mr. John Kirk and Stephen Equalo, an Ibeno teacher, took up residence
1900: First Baptism in Etinan
David Ekong ordained first Qua Iboe Church Pastor.
1902: Mr. R. L. Mackeown appointed as first full time General Secretary.
1903: Mission Office moved to Scottish Provident Building, Belfast from a smaller
office in YMCA building.
1904: Mr. and Mrs. Heaney began missionary work at Ikot Ubo.
Training Institute, where a number of pastors received their education, opened
in Okat by Miss Gordon.
1905: Mr. W. Eakin moved to Ikot Ubo. He saw many outstations opened.
1906: Mission outstations opened at Inuoko, Atiamkpat and Mbioto.
Mr. R. W. Smith began his mission work.
Training Institute for Girls Cottage Institute opened at Okat.
1907: Eket station established
1909: Mr. R. W. Smith moved to Ikot Edong to open mission field.
Mr. J. W. Westgarth moved to Aka, Uyo to open new mission field
Mrs. Westgarth died and was buried in Etinan.
1915: Mr. J. Nelson began mission work in Ika Annang
Mr. J. J. Taylor began the training Institute in Etinan.
1917: Mr. A. V. Wilcox opened mission field at Aba.
1918: Mr. W. Eakin died in Nigeria
1920: The Girls’ Institute opened in Afaha Eket.
1921: Mr. W. L. Wheatley began his missionary work among the Igbo people.
1922: Mr. Wilcox died in Nigeria.
1926: Mr. and Mrs. McEwan began missionary work in Ibesit.
1927: Etinan Hospital was established as a medical centre.
1931: Mr. Stanley Benington opened the Qua Iboe Mission Field in Lobi land,
French West Africa (now Burkina Faso).
Mr. D. O’Neil began missionary work in Igala.
Pastor David Ekong died on March 17.
1932: Mr. and Mrs. Dickson began missionary work in Adoru.
1933: The Qua Iboe Church Leprosy Hospital, Ekpene Obom was opened.
Mrs. Grace Bill was called to be with the Lord on August 12.
1936: Mr. and Mrs. John Curry began missionary work in Bassa.
1941: Official opening of Qua Iboe Church Bible College (now Samuel Bill Theological
College), Abak on January 8.
1942: Mr. R. L. Mckeown was called home by the Lord on January 24.
Mr. R. L. Mckeown was to be with the Lord on March 11.
1949: The opening of Ochadamu Medical Centre
1960: Qua Iboe Church Bible College, (now Peter Achimugu College of Theology),
Ankpa began its training in Ministry
1974: Mr. H. W. Dickson began missionary work in the then Bendel State.
1984: Qua Iboe Mission changed its name to Qua Iboe Church on May 1.
1987: Centenary Celebration